[Spellyans] taste

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Nov 23 12:01:13 GMT 2014

On 23 Nov 2014, at 01:29, A. J. Trim <ajtrim at msn.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am not sure that one would say "stinking with a smell". There would be no point in that.

“It stinks with an accursed stench” is perfectly good English. “It stinks with an accursed smell” is too, though it lacks literary gravitas.

> Surely, this is saying "stinking with a flavour". Pilot could taste the body at a distance, and wanted it out.

You’re kidding. Humans don’t taste things at a distance. Smell and taste are related, but corpses are not typically described as having a “flavour”.

So I don’t agree with your “surely”.

> I think that <blas> means "flavour" which has both "taste" and "smell"... in this case, a very bad one. However, maybe it could be used for a good "flavour" too. As <blas> is found only once, there is insufficient evidence.

I think that “flavour” would be a particularly bad translation here:

kemereugh corf an drok was vgy ow flerye gans blas yw myligys
'take the body of the scoundrel which is stinking with an accursed stench' RD 2159-61.

“Flavour”? Really? Naaah.

> In the examples that have been given by Nicholas, <tastya> means "sampling (by mouth)" or "experiencing", and are not concerned directly with the senses of "taste" and "smell”.

Yeah, that’s because “taste” means “to experience with the sense of taste” as well as by extension “to sample by mouth”. And there is no reason to think that “tastya” was borrowed into English with only one of those shades of meaning.

“Tastyans” would work well in a phrase for “a tasting menu” for instance.