[Spellyans] taste

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 12:03:52 GMT 2014

You have a point about 'flavour, smell'. In English perfume means 'pleasant smell'; the French equivalent means both 'flavour' and 'pleasant smell'.
The word sawour in Cornish seems to refer to both pleasant and unpleasant odours.

byneges yv an guel-ma pan vs sawor sur mur da ov tevos annethe y OM 1739-41
rag ny glewsyug yn nep plas sawor an par-ma bythqueth OM 1990-91
Annotho na gymmer gloys kynthus ganso sawer poys BM 1452-53
whecter sawer gans Ke BK 517 (stage direction)
hebma ythew sawer wheake hag in weth Sacrifice da CW 2493-94.

In Cornish one hears both noises and smells (see the second example above for clôwes as the verb used with a smell).

Blas in RD is usually translated 'tang'. However we translate it, there is no evidence that it could mean
'taste, flavour' in Cornish. It is associated only with smelling, not tasting. The parallels in Welsh and Breton are not evidence.
That is why I prefer to avoid blas.

Small typo. The procurator/prefect of Judea was Pilate.

Nicholas