[Spellyans] taste

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 13:23:24 GMT 2014

The verb flerya 'to stink' is attested. as is fleryys 'stinker, smelly person' (for ?*fleryus). I can't find any Middle Cornish example of fler 'smell, stink' though odor flair occurs in OCV. Notice that Lhuyd gives flair s.v. odor AB: 4b, 105c. In both cases he puts a dagger in front of the word to indicate that it is Old Cornish only. The Middle/Late word he cites for 'odour' is Saụarn. This is presumably for *saworen, but is not attested in the MC texts.

Nicholas