[Spellyans] Cornish for 'animal'

Linus Band linusband at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 16:19:37 GMT 2014

It may be the default word, but wouldn't it make more sense from a
phonological point of view if it came from English? If it came from Latin
*bēstia*, then long *ē* should have become **uɪ* which then fell together
with **oɪ* and ultimately MC /o/, LaC /u/ (cf. MC *boys* 'food' (MoC *boos*)).
We know that Welsh borrowed it from Latin since it appears there as
*bwyst* (and
thus retains earlier **uɪ* as *wy*).

Oll an gwella,
Linus