[Spellyans] Cornish for 'animal'

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 19:42:36 GMT 2014

The commonest plurals of best are bestas and bestes. There are no examples of *bestys, which one might expect
if the word had been borrowed from Middle English; cf. such plurals as battys, chettys, yettys, stockys, grappys.
The short vowel is a problem though, unless it is by analogy with all the other Latin borrowings with short vowels,
e.g. test, post, etc.
Welsh blwyddyn has wy but Cornish has blethen with e.

Nicholas