[Spellyans] "Winni-an-Pou"

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 7 12:09:18 IST 2015

Not just in RC—remember in Jowan Chy an Horr, Lhuyd’s text reads:

v.22, 23:	an ost an tshei
v25:		an hostez an tshei

Nance (Cornish for All) and Williams (Clappya Kernewek) each repunctuate these as ‘an ost a’n chy’ etc., while versions in Late Cornish from the Cussel change the wording to ‘ost an chei’. I can’t remember what John Page did in his book of the tale, and my copy, alas, is currently in hiding somewhere.

If you fancy comparing some different versions of the JCanH story, Gwask an Orlewen will be publishing a comparative reader at the end of August, in time for Gorseth Kernow, with half a dozen versions set in sequence, verse by verse. The title is (unsurprisingly) ‘Jowan Chai an Horr (x6), and it will be available from the usual sources both in print and as a free printable e-book.

As regards the origin of the name ‘Winnie-the-Pooh,’ Wikiepedia has an informative article on the subject:
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie-the-Pooh <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie-the-Pooh>

Seemingly, A.A. Milne’s son, Christopher, named his teddy bear thus, after a Canadian black bear called ‘Winnie’ that he often saw at London Zoo, and a swan called ‘Pooh’ that had met while on holiday.

As regards the syntax of the name…well, it’s no more than a child’s fancy. Young Christopher was doubtless unconcerned with the rigours of English grammar—no more should we be, perhaps, with the Cornish!

Moreover, as ‘Winnie-the-Pooh’ is a personal name, we can surely justify leaving it unchanged, or lightly translated as ‘Winnie-an-Pooh’.

By the by, what would one do with ‘Hereward the Wake’ in Cornish, or ‘Edward the Confessor’?

We might note that in Ireland, a reviled Anglo-Scottish king was known as ‘Seamus an Cac’, or ‘James the Shit’. As Gaelic has similar ideas to the Brythonic languages about constructionw of this kind, we might follow their example and render this into Cornish as ‘Jamys an Caugh’.

Eddie Climo