[Spellyans] "Winni-an-Pou"

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 15:19:26 IST 2015

But Winnie-the-Pooh in perfectly good English, like Alfred the Great, Henry the Eighth, Mack the Knife, Charles the Fat, Robert the Bruce, etc.
The same is not true for Cornish Winni-an-Pou because the name seems to be identical in syntax with Pobel an Bÿs, epscop an pow, etc.
It is in the titles of books aimed at children that we must be the most careful to ensure our Cornish means what we think it means.
That is why Steren an Kolyn Kernow was so unfortunate.

Nicholas