[Spellyans] Duolingo—free language learning

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 8 10:36:10 IST 2015

A gothmens whek,

There’s a good product available, free of charge, to help you learn a wide range of languages. Duolingo offers most of the major European languages, as well as less likely ones (Turkish, Ukrainian and Esperanto); and for Celtic language fans like us, it even has Irish!

It consists of short, ‘bite-sized’ lessons, with a range of diverse activities to hold your interest; it keeps track of your progress and will (optionally) nudge you nicely if you haven’t done your daily quota! The learning curve is quite gentle, so language ‘Power Learners’ might find it too slow, but it should be fine for many other folk.

You can run the product online (www.duolingo.com <http://www.duolingo.com/>) in your preferred web browser, and read further details of the product on their site. Alternatively, you can download the free app onto a mobile device with versions available for Apple iOS, Android, and Windows.Mobile.

I’m using it to brush up my French and German, now somewhat rusty due to neglect over the years, alas, and the experience is fairly enjoyable.

Dheugh oll an gwella,

Eddie Climo