[Spellyans] Duolingo—free language learning

Ceri Young rcr_young at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 8 15:15:55 IST 2015

I gather, from the "Welsh Course for Duolingo" group on Facebook, that Duolingo will be selecting the Welsh course development team within the next couple of months, and from that point the Welsh language will go into the Duolingo 'incubator' while the course is developed to its beta stage. There appear to be several extremely passionate volunteers pressing to create the Welsh course, so it could be completed in a few months. Getting this far, however, has taken many months of campaigning, correspondence and an online petition on the part of those volunteers who see the potential boon that a Welsh language course on Duolingo could bring to the prospects of the Welsh language.
Best of luck to whomever might wish to create a Cornish course (Duolingo are receptive to all expressions of interest from anyone who might wish to help develop one of their courses for them), but if this ever happens, it would be down to the Duolingo staff to select the applicants to create the course. It would be a matter of what orthography this team of volunteers selects that would get the go-ahead. If a strong contingent of Standard Cornish volunteers approached the Duolingo team first, the course could be won for Standard Cornish... If a SWF team get in first, however... You get the picture.
In a world where people have taken to the expedient and convenient method of learning languages via their smartphones, this could be critical in the fortunes of any one of the Cornish orthographies.
Best wishes,Ceri Young