[Spellyans] A few questions about mixed mutation of words beginning with G

harry hawkey bendyfrog at live.com
Fri Aug 21 12:55:26 IST 2015

Hello, I'm getting a little confused about how the mixed mutation of words beginning with 'g' works, and I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me here. Here are some of my thoughts and questions, under the relevant headings...

Skip straight to the TL::DR version at the bottom if you're short of time or patience!

Mixed Mutation Type I (after y, yn, maga, may, ple, etc.)

    Words beginning with 'gw'
    -------------------------

    Everyone seems to agree that words that begin with 'gw' become 'wh'.

    for example:- y whelys (CW, 1897)

    Words beginning with 'g' followed by 'o', 'u', 'ro' or 'ru'

    Everyone seems to agree that the 'g' changes to a 'wh'

    for example:- y wholhas (PAA, 219:5)

    Words beginning with 'g' followed by 'a', 'e', 'i' or 'y'

    The usual method seems to be to change the 'g' to an 'h'...(though the KS rev. 16 draft states it changes to a 'wh'? Is this a mistake?)

    for example:-

    y halla(BM, 543)
    y hawlsons(PAA, 126:7)

    And also a single instance of:
    y hwalsons(PAA, 154:3)

Mixed Mutation Type II (after 'th)

    Words beginning with 'gw'
    -------------------------
    Most people seem to agree that the 'g' is dropped leaving just 'w'

    examples:-
    y'th welaf(PC, 2592)
    the'th weres(RD, 596)

    however, I also found some examples of 'gw' changing to 'wh':-

    a'th wheres(OM, 893)
    the'th whythres(OM, 326)
    y'th whylsyn(RD, 2546)

    Words beginning with 'g' followed by 'o', 'u', 'ro' or 'ru'

    Again, most people seem to state that the 'g' is replaced by a 'w'

    examples:

    y'th wolowys(OM, 1831)
    ath worhemyn(BM, 4141)

    But again, I found some instances of 'g' --> 'wh'

    y'th wholowys(OM, 285)
    the'th whul(OM, 67) (unless you think this should be included in the 'gw' words...)

    Words beginning with 'g' followed by 'a', 'e', 'i' or 'y'

    Some claim that the 'g' is changed to 'h' (for which I could find no examples),
    and others that 'g' is changed to 'w' (for which I also could find no examples).

    I did, however, find a few examples of no mutation under these conditions:

    a'th galarow(RD, 1684)
    ath geryov(BM, 3480)
    a'th ganow(PC, 2001)

TL::DR version:

1. Type I mixed mutation of 'g' followed by 'a', 'e', 'i' or 'y' changes to an 'h', correct?
2. Do words beginning with 'gw' after 'th change to 'w' or 'wh'?
3. Do words beginning with 'g' followed by 'o', 'u', 'ro' or 'ru' after 'th change to 'w' or 'wh'?
4. What happens to words beginning with 'g' followed by 'a', 'e', 'i' or 'y' after 'th?

Thanks for reading, and apologies in advance for any ridiculous errors I might have made in asking this question...