[Spellyans] A few questions about mixed mutation of words beginning with G

harry hawkey bendyfrog at live.com
Sun Aug 23 13:52:45 IST 2015

ajtrim at msn.com wrote:

Again, in Soft mutation, there is no mutation of <C>,
    <D>, <K>, <P>, <Qu>,
    <T> --- after nouns that end in <s> or
    <th>.

    However, <B>, <Ch>, <G>, <M>
    do mutate here.

    This last rule appears to have been "invented" by A. S. D. Smith. Do
    we still use this rule? Is there evidence for it in the texts? What
    about words that end in <dh>? These have never been
    mentioned.

<TOTALLY UNRELIABLE>

After feminine/masculine pl. nouns ending in <th> or <s> followed by an adjective I found:

no examples of p-->b
no examples of c/k-->g
no examples of t-->d

A few examples of d-->th/dh
tus tha(Tregear) X 2
fleghes dha(Gwavas, Ten Commandments)

Though it looks like there are more examples of no mutation of <d> than with.