[Spellyans] A few questions about mixed mutation of words beginning with G

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue Aug 25 18:35:57 IST 2015

Although I've yet to convince the Signage Panel of this, in West Cornwall, place-names with a generic ending in Old Cornish -d, -t, before an initial R of the qualifier, does not assibilate.

Examples include Redruth, Bodrifty and Bodriggy.  In all three, the generic fails to assibilate in all recorded historic forms.  The Panel wants to assibilate them (and have already done so with <Resrudh>, which I maintain should be <Redrudh>), I say they should not.

Craig