[Spellyans] A few questions about mixed mutation of words beginning with G

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 19:37:40 IST 2015

This is similar to the way in which d does not assibilate in words where there is r in the next syllable:
peder, prydyth, gweder, Peder, preder. With the latter compare Latin uitrum > gweder but Latin via British uritum > gwrys 'crystal'.

Perhaps the best example is seen the in the present autonomous long form of bos, i.e. eder:

rag ov keusel yth eder  'for it is being said'  OM 2794
mayth eder worth the vlamye 'so that you are being blamed' OM 2797

The autonomous form eder compares with the assibilated forms esof, esos, eson, esough, etc. Clearly the r in the contiguous syllable
has prevented assibilation.

Nicholas