[Spellyans] A few questions about mixed mutation of words beginning with G

harry hawkey bendyfrog at live.com
Wed Aug 26 09:40:53 IST 2015

Nicholas Williams wrote:

The early revivalists schematised things so students could learn them, but it is clear that the mutations are much less systematic than we have been led to believe.

It sure looks that way to me.  Seems like middle Cornish speakers had to remember a lot of rules, so I guess it's not surprising they got things wrong...

Nicholas Williams wrote:

'and thy wife' is ha'th wrehgty OM 389; ha'th wrek PC 685; hath wreag CW 834. That meansha'th is followed by lenition.

Don't forget these: (lenition followed by provection?)

a'th wheres(OM, 893); the'th whythres(OM, 326); y'th whylsyn(RD, 2546); y'th wholowys(OM, 285); the'th whul(OM, 67)

Nicholas Williams wrote:

At some point somebody will have to examine the practice of initial mutation in Middle and Late Cornish.

Oh dear.  I was kind of hoping someone had already done this over the last century or so of revived Cornish...