[Spellyans] A few questions about mixed mutation of words beginning with G

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 12:51:50 IST 2015

We have a further problem with wh/w. In BM (and possibly elsewhere) <w> is sometimes written
when <wh> is expected. 'Sweet, dear' for example is written <wek> in BM thirty-four times.
Does <w> here mean the unvoiced w or does it mean that the consonant is no longer voiceless?
I suspect the second. In CF for instance we find kymmerr y zoz wrek, where wrek probably means [wre:g].

Maga certainly seems to cause mixed mutation in some cases:

maga whyn auel an leth PC 3138
ha y thillas a ve gwris maga whyn avell an yrth

and

ha maga fuer drok deffry 'and such a great evil indeed' RD 1433.

On the other hand we find:

maga ver dell yll bos gothvethis 'as much as can be known' TH 14.

The whole question of initial mutation needs thorough examination.

Nicholas