[Spellyans] Alroron

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sun Aug 30 10:04:20 IST 2015

Macalister and Charles Thomas have read it as ALRORON;  Elisabeth Okasha reads to as CILRORON.  However, Okasha's inscribed stone interpretations are untrustworthy.

Alwar of BM is probably the 11th century Alweard, Aluuard, of the Manor of Alverton, Penzance.  I suspect he was a senior churchman at Madron church (mother church of Penzance), appointed by Canterbury.
His name is preserved in place-names such as Alverton and Nansalverne.

Craig