[Spellyans] No word for 'bridge' in the SWF?

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 04:48:37 GMT 2015

On 17 February 2015 at 22:53, harry hawkey <bendyfrog at live.com> wrote:
> Anyone else noticed that both the online and .pdf versions of the SWF have
> no word for bridge?  I thought this word was pretty well attested in
> Cornish....

How odd! I hadn't noticed that before, no.

(Dictionaries disagree on the plural of this word, which is not
unusual, but all the dictionaries I have agree on the singular.)

> On a related topic, is it true that the .pdf version of the dictionary is
> *never* going to be updated?

That is what I had originally heard—that they did not want to produce
another PDF version because they wanted to update the online version
from time to time (e.g. to correct errors or add new entries) and did
not want outdated PDF versions floating around and misleading people
as to what is currently considered valid SWF.

However, I have since heard that a new PDF version *is* in
preparation, and the dictionary website does say that a PDF version
"will be available shortly".

I wonder whether it will look similar to the previous one (i.e. just
updating the spelling and including any further corrections that have
been applied in the website) or whether it will also include
pronunciation, for example.

> Some of the Cornish section of the dictionary even has words translated
> into German rather than English!

Can you give an example?

> The other day I resorted to getting my robot to
> download the entirety of the online dictionary's website

I wonder whether you could make a copy available to me, for example as
a ZIP file? That’s something I had considered but hadn’t got around to
doing yet.

> the IPA notation, which unfortunately appears to have been produced
> by another robot using the SWF as input and the RMC and RLC pronunciation
> rules to produce the IPA output, instead of an actual human being).

Though they do seem to have included at least some magic to mark words
with unusual stress such as ‘keffrys’ and ‘adamant’ as well as to
distinguish between words which are spelled with ‘o’ vs. ‘oe’ in
Kernewek Kemmyn; compare, for example, the IPA for ‘Bosni’ and ‘bosti’
and look at the suggested pronunciation of the ‹o›.

> Still, I suppose nothing ever gets written in the SWF anyway, except the
> magakernow website.

I’ve seen a Truro visitors’ guide written in the SWF, and I write in
the SWF, gwella gylliv! There’s also an SWF edition of _Bora Brav_,
and a couple of children’s books such as from the ‘Spot’ and ‘Topsy
and Tim’ series, the latter published by Kowethas an Yeth Kernewek.
(On looking at their website, I just noticed that the script they
provided for last Sunday’s Cornish news on Radio BBC is also in the
SWF.)

I’ve also seen a couple of Late users using a spelling system based on
the SWF but with additional diacritics (especially using ‹ü› instead
of ‹u›). This has usually been based on ‘SWF with Late forms and
Traditional graphs’.

Cheers,
Philip
--