[Spellyans] Accents

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Sun Nov 1 15:19:26 GMT 2015

I have to admit that it is only recently that I have studied in depth
where one should apply the accents in KS.

Having read the section in Desky Kernowek, I think I understand the
rules now and there is one case for applying accents which I would
query. We are informed that a circumflex accent ( ˄) is used to show
when two words have the same spelling and pronunciation but have
different meanings, e.g. êth (went) and eth (eight) and dâ (good)and
da (variant of 'dha').

We do not yet have a full dictionary in KS so I don't know how many
examples this rule is likely to throw up. I believe that most regular
users of Cornish will understand that a different word is involved
from the context in which the word is written. To show different words
in this way by a circumflex is, I believe, unnecessary and only
increases the number of accents that must be inserted in order to
write KS.

A quicker way of inserting accents has recently been explained to me
but, nevertheless, it still takes more time to write a document in KS
than it would in Unified or SWF.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow