[Spellyans] Accents

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Nov 2 16:38:15 GMT 2015

On 1 Nov 2015, at 10:19, Ray Chubb <ray at spyrys.org> wrote:

> I have to admit that it is only recently that I have studied in depth where one should apply the accents in KS.
>
> Having read the section in Desky Kernowek, I think I understand the rules now and there is one case for applying accents which I would query. We are informed that a circumflex accent ( ˄) is used to show when two words have the same spelling and pronunciation but have different meanings, e.g. êth (went) and eth (eight) and dâ (good)and da (variant of 'dha’).

In quite a limited set of words.

> We do not yet have a full dictionary in KS so I don't know how many examples this rule is likely to throw up.

I think it is like a dozen more or less high-frequency words. Easy to remember. I’ll check when I’m home and over my jetlag.

> I believe that most regular users of Cornish will understand that a different word is involved from the context in which the word is written.

In KS we endeavoured to reduce ambiguity.

> To show different words in this way by a circumflex is, I believe, unnecessary and only increases the number of accents that must be inserted in order to write KS.

Not by very many words. French does the same thing with some of its words.

> A quicker way of inserting accents has recently been explained to me but,

There are numerous keyboards available. Nicholas and I use the Irish Extended keyboard for Cornish.

> nevertheless, it still takes more time to write a document in KS than it would in Unified or SWF.

It’s not more burdensome than shifting is to make capital letters. Nicholas has managed to type a great many words without difficulty. :-)

Michael