[Spellyans] Fwd: Cornish Language Funding Cut

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 17:29:18 IST 2016

A gowetha,

You may well have received a copy of this email from Nev Meek of Cornwall Council, but here’s a copy just in case.

Certainly the Cornish language revival has gained some benefit from the funding received to date, and it seems a good idea to do as Nev suggests and email your Cornish MP and sign the petition.

However, to put the matter in perspective, the majority of the work done over many decades to support traditional forms of Cornish have, as is always the case, been done by volunteers who have received no state funding whatsoever. As far as I know, no Trad Cornish organisations, groups, publishers, content creators, teachers etc. have had a brass farthing out of the government.

That may not be the case with those who pursue Inauthentic Cornish in its various unlovely forms. Ogh! Tru, tru! Go-y!

I can’t speak for anyone else, but Gwask an Orlewen has had no funding, only some free publicity in MAGA’s Kevren newsletter.

So, sos, let’s not be despondent; if the Government’s decision can be reversed, so much the better; if not, then it’s business as usual for us supporters of Trad Cornish.

Dheugh oll an gwella,

Eddie Climo
Gwask an Orlewen

23/06/2016 — Degol agan Rythsys / Our Independence Day!