[Spellyans] Fwd: Cornish Language Funding Cut

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Fri Apr 29 12:28:20 IST 2016

On 28 Ebr 2016, at 17:29, Eddie Climo wrote:

> A gowetha,
>
> You may well have received a copy of this email from Nev Meek of
> Cornwall Council, but here’s a copy just in case.
>
> Certainly the Cornish language revival has gained some benefit from
> the funding received to date, and it seems a good idea to do as Nev
> suggests and email your Cornish MP and sign the petition.
>
> However, to put the matter in perspective, the majority of the work
> done over many decades to support traditional forms of Cornish have,
> as is always the case, been done by volunteers who have received no
> state funding whatsoever. As far as I know, no Trad Cornish
> organisations, groups, publishers, content creators, teachers etc.
> have had a brass farthing out of the government.

Agan Tavas has had a couple of grants from Maga but we are talking
hundreds of pounds not thousands. Classes teaching Unified have been
getting funding as well as for classes teaching other forms.

> That may not be the case with those who pursue Inauthentic Cornish
> in its various unlovely forms. Ogh! Tru, tru! Go-y!

Agan Tavas has always managed to work wonders without much national or
local government aid. For example we published the best English/
Cornish dictionary ever.

> I can’t speak for anyone else, but Gwask an Orlewen has had no
> funding, only some free publicity in MAGA’s Kevren newsletter.
>
> So, sos, let’s not be despondent; if the Government’s decision can
> be reversed, so much the better; if not, then it’s business as usual
> for us supporters of Trad Cornish.

My own view is that unless the Government passes a Cornish language
act and/or allows and enforces a Cornish variant of the National
Curriculum, funding isn't going to make a lot of difference. In fact
it could do  damage by funding propagation of inauthentic forms of
Cornish. These are my private views which are to go no further than
this forum.

> [...]
>> To: "nev.meek at gmail.com" <nev.meek at gmail.com>
>>
>> Oll
>>
>> The Cornish language is a unique part of all our shared cultural
>> heritage. It is listed as critically endangered by UNESCO and needs
>> our support to give it a bright future.
>>
>> It was a great shock to all, when the UK Government withdrew
>> funding for our language last week, in so doing breaching their
>> obligations under the European Charter for Regional and Minority
>> Languages.
>>
>> As per the email below from Cllr German - Portfolio Holder for
>> Economy & Culture at Cornwall Council - I am contacting all of the
>> contacts in my address book to ask for your support for our
>> language, which I think you will agree is the "jewel in the crown"
>> of Cornish culture.
>>
>> I know that many of you will have already done so, but if not,
>> please can you sign the petition which now has over 4,400
>> signatures:  https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/128474
>>
>> In addition I would be grateful if you could drop a very brief
>> email to your local MP asking them to sign the Early Day Motion
>> supporting the Cornish Language :  http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2015-16/1429
>>
>> The email addresses of the Cornish MPs are:-
>>
>> george.eustice.mp at parliament.uk
>> sarah.newton.mp at parliament.uk
>> sheryll.murray.mp at parliament.uk
>> derek.thomas.mp at parliament.uk
>> steve.double.mp at parliament.uk
>> scott.mann.mp at parliament.uk
>>
>> A very short email to them will be absolutely fine.
>>
>> Many thanks for your help with this campaign.
>>
>> Oll an gwella - Meur ras
>>
>> Nev Meek
>> nev.meek at sky.com
>>

>> On Thursday, 28 April 2016, 16:01, German Julian CC <jgerman at cornwall.gov.uk
>> > wrote:
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> Please can you disseminate to your email contacts and ask them to
>> contact their MP asking them to put their name to it?
>>
>> For info Cornwall MP emails addresses are
>>
>> george.eustice.mp at parliament.uk
>> sarah.newton.mp at parliament.uk
>> sheryll.murray.mp at parliament.uk
>> derek.thomas.mp at parliament.uk
>> steve.double.mp at parliament.uk
>> scott.mann.mp at parliament.uk
>>
>> Yn lel, Julian
>>

>> This e-mail and attachments are intended for above named only and
>> may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must
>> take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to
>> anyone; please e-mail us immediately at enquiries at cornwall.gov.uk.
>> Please note that this e-mail may be subject to recording and/or
>> monitoring in accordance with the relevant legislation and may need
>> to be disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the
>> Environmental Information Regulations 2004.
>> Security Warning: It is the responsibility of the recipient to
>> ensure that this e-mail and any attachments are virus free. The
>> Authority will not accept liability for any damage caused by a virus.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow

Agan Tavas web site:  www.agantavas.com