[Spellyans] Cornish Language Funding Cut

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Apr 30 18:10:37 IST 2016

On 30 Apr 2016, at 12:58, Janice Lobb <janicelobb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Difficult to say what was state funding and what was council funding but, like Agan Tavas, the Cussel has had some small amounts of money from MAGA (e.g. my £5 a lesson fo expenses) and grants (the last one £400) - but never as much as we requested and sometimes "lost" in the bureaucratic system. I seem to remember that there was a policy of not funding publishing and I have never received any support for all the work I do teaching the diaspora on line (not that I need any).

They didn’t fund publishing, and in fact, they never even ordered any books. Ray Chubb’s Skeul an Tavas came out in three orthographies and despite all the talk about schools, nobody ever placed an order for a box or two. In Northern Ireland they bought three hundred copies of Alice in Ulster Scots and gave it to children in the schools. And that was a 27,000-word novel, not a short teaching grammar.

So I don’t know. I never expected funding for publishing. That hasn’t stopped me from being a prolific publisher. I did ask any number of times to be funded in a small way to transcribe some of the audio interviews they have into the I.P.A. so we could have verifiable data about the phonology of the revived language. Was told “yes, later” many times. Never happened. I did ask that I be able to make a respectful and informative presentation to the SWF Review Panel about “orthography, phonology, and why it matters” and was told that was a good idea, but it was never allowed. Nor was my request to see the complete texts of the various submissions to the SWF Review process rather than the vague summaries that were provided.

Well, all that means is that the current, revised SWF is actually more inaccurate and more inconsistent than the original SWF, which we took as the basis for Kernowek Standard.

If UK money does help the Cornish language, I hope that some can be provided. But as far as I can see, it’s not really helped any of the organizations generating real content in Cornish.

Michael Everson