[Spellyans] Cornish Language Funding Cut

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Sat Apr 30 21:20:23 IST 2016

On 30 Ebr 2016, at 18:10, Michael Everson wrote:

> On 30 Apr 2016, at 12:58, Janice Lobb <janicelobb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Difficult to say what was state funding and what was council
>> funding but, like Agan Tavas, the Cussel has had some small amounts
>> of money from MAGA (e.g. my £5 a lesson fo expenses) and grants
>> (the last one £400) - but never as much as we requested and
>> sometimes "lost" in the bureaucratic system. I seem to remember
>> that there was a policy of not funding publishing and I have never
>> received any support for all the work I do teaching the diaspora on
>> line (not that I need any).
>
> They didn’t fund publishing, and in fact, they never even ordered
> any books. Ray Chubb’s Skeul an Tavas came out in three
> orthographies and despite all the talk about schools, nobody ever
> placed an order for a box or two.

We did sell a good number by skirting around the language office and
going directly to the School Libraries Service, half a box full perhaps.

A member of staff at the language office went so far as to say to an
enquirer that, (at the time of the call), there was no course book in
the SWF.  We were left wondering if the caller would have got the same
reaction if there had been a Cornish Language Board SWF course book.

> In Northern Ireland they bought three hundred copies of Alice in
> Ulster Scots and gave it to children in the schools. And that was a
> 27,000-word novel, not a short teaching grammar.
>
> So I don’t know. I never expected funding for publishing. That
> hasn’t stopped me from being a prolific publisher. I did ask any
> number of times to be funded in a small way to transcribe some of
> the audio interviews they have into the I.P.A. so we could have
> verifiable data about the phonology of the revived language. Was
> told “yes, later” many times. Never happened. I did ask that I be
> able to make a respectful and informative presentation to the SWF
> Review Panel about “orthography, phonology, and why it matters” and
> was told that was a good idea, but it was never allowed. Nor was my
> request to see the complete texts of the various submissions to the
> SWF Review process rather than the vague summaries that were provided.
>
> Well, all that means is that the current, revised SWF is actually
> more inaccurate and more inconsistent than the original SWF, which
> we took as the basis for Kernowek Standard.
>
> If UK money does help the Cornish language, I hope that some can be
> provided. But as far as I can see, it’s not really helped any of the
> organizations generating real content in Cornish.

Perhaps the Government has been smart enough to spot the bias in the
system, but I doubt it.

Just come back from a good display of quality books at Trevithick Day,
mostly published without official funding.