[Spellyans] Trevithal, Paul

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 11:53:30 IST 2016

There is a medieval Welsh word meddyglyn ‘medicinal potion, cordial, elixir’. It was borrowed into English as metheglin.
The word is formed from Welsh meddyg ‘doctor’ and llyn ‘liquid’. The Cornish equivalent would be *metheglyn.
Since both methek ‘doctor’ and lyn ‘liquid’ are both attested elements in Cornish, it is not unlikely that *metheglyn
was known in Cornwall also.
Is it possible that Trevethegal, Trevethygel contains a corruption of *metheglyn?
Trevetheglyn might have been metathesised to *Trevethegnyl and then reduced to Trevethegyl by simplifiction of the consonant cluster.

Meddyglyn in Welsh also came to mean Wild carrot (Daucus carota), though that plant is so common
that it is difficult to see why a place would be named after it.

Nicholas