[Spellyans] dhe

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:28:32 IST 2016

In many cases orth, worth is the preposition to be used in Cornish:

hag worth post fast an colmas ‘and at a post they bound him fast’ PA 130b
aga meyn orth Ihesus a omgame ‘their mouths they distorted at Jesus’ PA 196b
Ha spycis leas ehen ef a worras yn y veth ze gryst a bub tenewen hag a zyghow hag a gleth worth y dreys ha worth y ben ‘And spices, many kinds, he placed in his tomb on both sides of Christ and to the right and the left at his feet and at his head’ PA 236
worth an post yn le may ma y gelmy fast why a wra ‘at the post where he is you shall bind him fast’ PC 2058-60
pesaf y weth may fy gynef orth ow dyweth ‘I pray also that you be with me at my end’ RD 836-37
war an meneth dyogel hag orth an ryuer surly a josselyne ‘on the mountain indeed and at the river of Josseline surely’ BM 1140-42.

As for your sample phrases, I should translate them as follows:

at the end of the runway > orth dyweth an hens tira
at the corner of the street > orth cornel an strêt
go in at the side door > kewgh ajy der an daras tenewen
change at Crewe > chaunjyowgh tren in Crewe
arrive at the airport > drehedhes an airborth
at the roundabout take the third exit > orth an trogelgh kemerowgh an tressa fordh in mes.

None of this explains, however, my original question: where did Unified Cornish dhe = at come from?