[Spellyans] Excel SWF-KK-Traditional Corpus-WIP

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Mon Feb 1 11:43:04 GMT 2016

Haphazard is the word.  What can be made of the variants byghan - bian?  Why have -y- in one, and -i- in the other?  They're both pronounced the same and, in fact, should (by their own rules) be:  bighan - bian.
I thought SWF was to be designed to make learning Cornish easier.  That's hardly achieved by this sort of inconsistency.

Note that medial -gh- was sneaked back into SWF by the Review.  I suspect this was at KK insistence, considering that UC users are allowed next to no say in the matter.

A chap from "up the line" has bought the late Hugh Miners's old house at Carnyorth, which is called Chy Byghan (old UC).  I've told him how it's pronounced, but the man insists on calling it Chy Biggun!

Craig