[Spellyans] Excel SWF-KK-Traditional Corpus-WIP

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 12:28:43 GMT 2016

There is an argument that byghan should never have been used in revived Cornish.
The form byghan is attested in place-names but is entirely unknown in the traditional Cornish texts.
There are two examples of beghan in Pascon agan Arluth.
Byhan occurs a few times in the Ordinalia.
By far the commonest forms are byen and byan which are attested in the Ordinalia and BM.
Tregear, the Creation of the World and NBoson use bean.
Lhuyd wrote bîan and this was adopted by Jenner.
KS writes bian, where the <ia> shows that i is part of a diphthong.
Byan would mean [bjæn].

I don’t use the SWF in either of its forms, because it seems to me to be both
inauthentic and phonologically incorrect.
To say nothing of its inherent ambiguity.

Nicholas