[Spellyans] Excel SWF-KK-Traditional Corpus-WIP

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Feb 1 15:05:50 GMT 2016

On 1 Feb 2016, at 11:05, Daniel Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com> wrote:

> The SWF “rules” are very haphazard and many of them appear to have been formulated on the fly, or even in hindsight. Now, ‹distruksyon› does appear in the 2012 PDF of the SWF glossary, but it must be a mistake, as it is the only word with “etymological” -tion or -cion, that is written with ‹syon›, all others show ‹cyon› (e.g. akusacyon, deklaracyon, fondacyon, mencyon, menystracyon, nacyon, revelacyon, salvacyon, etc.), so I would emend SWF ‹distruksyon› to ‹distrukcyon› which would then give SWF/tg ‹distruccyon›.

In KS we don’t use the graph ‹cc› (which can mean [ks] and [k] in the texts). So those borrowings from -tion and -cion are written -cyon when [sjən] but -csyon when [ksjən]; also we write -ssyon when [sjən]~[ʃjən]~[ʃən] (posessyon, processyon, confessyon, passyon)

> There are examples of ‹ccion› in the texts, e.g. ‹perfeccion› (TH), ‹thestruccion, destruccion› (TH), ‹effeccion› (TH), ‹correccion› (TH), ‹instruccion› (TH), ‹resurreccion› (TH), but also ‹condiccion› (TH).

Also ‹venedycconn›, ‹benedicconn› (BM).  ‹cc> isn’t that common in the texts; Tregear writes ‹accordyng›, ‹accomp(t(ys))› as well as his words in ‹-ccion›. I dimly recall the discussions we had about this back when we were formulating rules, and I think the above explains our practice.