[Spellyans] Excel SWF-KK-Traditional Corpus-WIP

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Thu Feb 11 01:10:28 GMT 2016

SWF-ONLINE-PRONUNCIATION_TRAD_FORMS.ods

This is an interesting list.
It would be better if it were to include the attested Traditional
Cornish forms, with frequencies. I expect that you have that planned ....
It would be better still if it were to include the Traditional Graph
forms and their pronunciations for the plurals!

Words like karate, kayak, Korea, Koran do not become more traditional by
spelling them with c, instead of k, so I would leave them as k.

Double k occurs only in bykken, lakka, tykki. I would spell these with
ck, instead of kk, to match all the others.

The SWF rule seems to be that we have to use kt but I prefer ct, instead
of kt, in words like activita, whecter, octet.

For some reason, k did not get transcribed to c in the following:
kemynskrif
kemyska
kemyskans
kenskrif
kensskrif
kesakordyans
keskal to keskarydhes
keskloppa to keskussulyans
kesskol to kesskrifores
kilokalori
klapkodh
k'lonka
kynsskrif

The word distruksyon has been converted to distruxyon.
I think that this is wrong as it is not really an instance of ks but
rather an instance of ksh (spelt here ksy.)  I think that it should be
spelt distrukcyon if that is allowed, else keep as distruksyon.
As far as I can see, all the other instances of ks in your list should
be x, with the exception of bankskwattyans / bankskwattyes, which I
think you have correct (banksqwattyans / banksqwattyes).
However, the plural (bankswattyansow) should have either a second k or a
q too.  I believe that the on-line dictionary has this wrong.

For some reason, ks did not get transcribed to x in the following:
boksuji
boksusi
eksamnya
ekstatek
oksid
oksyjen

It has been assumed that the Traditional Graph equivalent of kw is qw.
However, the Traditional Cornish in your Awesome list shows that the
overwhelming majority of Traditional words had qu, not kw and not qw.
Any attempt to make Cornish spelling more traditional should reconsider
qu. The MAGA on-line Cornish Dictionary has a note on Traditional Graphs:

"
Traditional graphs / Grafys hengovek

By default, this dictionary writes <k> for /k/, <hw> for /ʍ/ or /hw/,
and <-i> for word-final /i/. The Standard Written Form also makes
provision for the use of 'traditional graphs' such as word-final <y>,
which are held to be equally correct, for personal use. If you use
‘traditional graphs’ when writing the SWF, please refer to the following
table to help you in using the dictionary:

‘Traditional’ to ‘Main’ form conversion table

c before a, o, u, l, r→ k

qw (or: qu)→ kw

x → ks

wh → hw

unstressed final -y → -i
"

There are two points to note here.
Firstly "for personal use". I assume that this means that Traditional
Graphs are not held to be equally correct for official use.
Secondly, "or: qu". I assume that kw can be spelt qu.

The word frikhwyth has been converted to friqwhyth.
I think that this is wrong as it is not really an instance of kw but
rather an instance of kwh (spelt here khw.)  I think that it should be
spelt frikwheth.

The word dermatologydhes appears to have the dh transposed to hd in the
plural (dermatologyhdesow). I believe that the on-line dictionary has
this wrong.

The word bughwas has been converted to bugwhas. However, this is from
bugh gwas, so wh is unlikely. If the Late Cornish pronunciation is
correct, you may need an additional Late variant buhwhas.

For some reason, hw did not get transcribed to wh in the following:
hwekhe
hwigen

Unstressed word-final -i to -y conversion is not happening whenever the
word is marked L, M, [1], [2]. There are quite a few of these.
For example:
anedhi
avi
besi
briji
browi
debri
pewi
pysi
serri

but also

tikki Duw

The word nantei has been converted to nantey. I believe that this is
wrong, and that nantei is correct.

Well, this has turned out to be rather a long post. I hope it helps.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim