[Spellyans] SWF Review

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Mon Feb 22 21:24:49 GMT 2016

war'n occurs consistently in the place-name Tywarnhayle.

Ti Waernel, Tiwaernhel 960
Tywarnail 1221, Tywarneil 1231
Tywarnail, Trewernayl 1296
Tywarnheil 1303
Tywarnail 1310
Trewerneil 1346
Tuernayl 1391
Tywarnayle 1461
Trewarnayle 1584
Tywarnhaile 1613, 1673, 1680, 1699, c.1720
Tiwarnail 1750

ty, "senior manor" + war'n (on the, upon the", + heyl, "estuary with tidal flats".

(Ty- seems to have been retained for manors perceived to be of high status and, in these names, did not alter to chy-.   Tybesta, Tywarnhayle, Tywardreath, Degembris and Tehidy are examples).

Craig