[Spellyans] SWF Review

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 22:07:14 GMT 2016

Given that Ty in this toponym does not affricate to ch, we must assume that the name did not contain
colloquial or at least spoken elements. In which case the presence of warn, though interesting, is not
normative for the spoken language.

It is curious that of all the names with unaffricated t in them which you cite
Tywardreath appears to be the closest in formation to Tywarnheyl, but there is no definite article
in it. Indeed Tywarnheyl is the only one which contains the definite article.
Is there any reason for this?

Tehidy and Degembris seem to contain personal names. Is it at all possible that Tywarnheyl contains a personal
name and that the analysis of it as Tywarnheyl ‘manor on the estuary’ has arisen by Volksetymologie?

I ask simply because warn ‘on the’ in Ti Waernel seems rather suspicious, particularly in a name attested in the tenth century.

Nicholas