[Spellyans] An abecedary Grêk

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Jan 2 15:54:09 GMT 2016

On 2 Jan 2016, at 15:42, Eddie Climo <eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> That seems like a worthwhile project for Cornish speakers, at least those of a more Classical bent. It might be worth adding Hebrew, Cyrillic, punctuation marks, dingbats...heck, the whole typographer's nomenclature in the long run.

It’s not new. We had this in the UCR dictionaries. (Upsilon was omitted. Oops.)

> Just one point: I'd prefer to see KS 'kappa' rather than 'cappa,' as that uses the Greek character in the name of that character.

One could write kappa and qoppa but the orthographic rules are to use ‹c› before back vowels. (Of course ‹k› and ‹κ› are different characters…)

> I'm also less than happy with ‘Χχ ghî,'
> although clearly you couldn't use *chi, as the <ch> digraph is already in Cornish for another phoneme.

> Still, if you admitted the 'k' in 'kappa,' perhaps ‘khappa', might work.

You mean “khî”, I think.

> The trouble is, I expect 'gh' to give a voiced fricative rather than the rewuired unvoiced one used in Greek. Well, perhaps I'm being unduly inflienced by Gaelic 'gh.’

Perhaps. :-)

The list I provided uses the usual KS conventions in the usual way, though.