[Spellyans] Excel SWF-KK-Traditional Corpus-WIP

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 21:38:37 GMT 2016

I have a MacBook OSX version 10.12.2 and a rather ancient iPhone. I can read the whole thing on the iPhone, but only as far as ordyr on my laptop.

Since the glossary is in KK and SWF/M it is not of any great interest to me, particularly since much of the fuller KK section is, in my view, at best invention and at worst palpably incorrect, e.g. *bywnans, *klywes,
*Yudi ‘Judea’, *Nasara ’Nazareth—the attested spelling is Nazare, Nazary.

I notice that the KK for ‘Redruth’ is given as Rysrudh. The first element should have e rather than y. More importantly it is clear that the
consonant cluster -dr- in Cornish does not assibilate to -sr- in intervocalic position. This can be seen from such forms as pedry, hadre ‘while’, edrek, pedrevanas, godros, ladra, medra, etc.
Notice also that in BK Modred is either Modreth or Modres, showing that the final segment can be assibilated but the internal -dr- is not.

The Cornish for Redruth is Redruth: durth Pedn an Wollaz tho an Karrack Looez, ha tua Poreeah ha Redruth NBoson.
The final element is unstressed and I take it to be voiceless. Rysrudh in my view is unwarranted.

I think Craig will agree with me that -dr- in Redruth is not assibilated.

Nicholas