[Spellyans] Excel SWF-KK-Traditional Corpus-WIP

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sat Jan 30 11:52:00 GMT 2016

I omitted Bodrugan from the unassimilated -dr- names - a family name and place-name in Gorran parish,  just a few miles from St Ewe where Cornish was recorded to have been spoken in 1595.

The 12th century Old Cornish Vocabulary shows assimilation to be in the process of development, as some entries show assibilation and some do not.

It is the presence of assibilation in place-names on the mentioned bounds that shows the much-vaunted St Buryan Charter, purportedly signed by King Athelstan at Kingston-upon-Thames, to be bogus and a late medieval forgery.
Quite apart from the fact the date under Athelstan's signature is 943.   Something of a miracle, considering that Athelstan died on Oct 27th, 940.

The 'St Ives Times and Echo' has just run a considerable 2-part article about the last traditional conversation in Cornish and, after some detailed consideration, concludes that it took place between John Davey, Jr. (d.1891), and John Hobson Matthews (d.1914) in the summer of 1889.
The author is only identified as B.C.  Does anyone have an idea of who that might be?

This supports the evidence presented by Rod Lyon in "Cornish - the Struggle for Survival" that people were still being brought up in the language in the 19th century (albeit bilingually), in remote parishes such as Zennor and the upland part of Madron, with at least two (Elizabeth Vingoe [d.1903] and John Mann [80 years old in 1914] surviving into the 20th century.  I can actually see Elizabeth Vingoe's house at Higher Boswarva from my upstairs windows.

We tend to count Jenner's Handbook as the start of the revival but, in fact, the revival began some time before that, through people like Jago, Bannister and Lach-Szyrma.  On the evidence now available, I'd replace "revival" with "reawakening".

Craig