[Spellyans] ha versus hag

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 10:44:20 IST 2016

I agree, Clive. Nance has a lengthy entry about this under 'ha(g)' in his '38 Dictionary, as well as in Appx.IV. He offers ha'n for 'hag an', as you say, but also combinations with the possessive adjs.: ha'm, ha'w, ha'th, ha'y, ha'gan, ha'gas, ha'ga.

Also h'a for 'hag a', ha'y for 'ha a'y', ha'w for 'hag ow-<verb noun>'.

The lengthy entry is well worth reading, as it offers some fine idioms that I didn't know, and Mordon Nance provides many of them with citations from the historical corpus―a courtesy offered by the better lexicographers of Cornish, such as Neil Kennedy, Richard Gendall, Fred Jago and Williams, Rev. Robert.

H. F. Climo