[Spellyans] "cat's cradle" in Cornish?

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 11:49:38 IST 2016

A gothmens whek,

In a current book project, I had to translate the game “cat’s cradle” into Cornish. None of my Cornish dictionaries seemed to have anything to offer, and neither did the Welsh, Breton nor Scots Gaelic ones.

For Irish, however, Tomás de Bhaldraithe had two entries:
	• Crúb an ghé. “claw [of] the goose"
	• Cliabhán cait. “cradle [of] cat”

The multilingual PONS dictionary app for iOS (excellent and free!) turned up French “jeu de ficelles” and German “Fadenspiel”, each of which means roughtly “string game”. It also gave Spanish “juego de la cuna” ("the cradle game").

So,  from the Irish one might calque Cornish
	* skyvel goth
	* lesk cath.
From the Spanish:
	* gwary lesk
From the French and German would come
	* gwary corden,
which is what I plumped for eventually.

Does anyone have any better suggestions or recommendations?

Oll an gwella,

Eddie Climo
Gwask an Orlewen