[Spellyans] "Landscape"

iacobianus at googlemail.com iacobianus at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 25 16:48:24 IST 2017

Dear Craig,

Second element gwëdh (trees) is the etymology given in the Gerlyver Meur (George, 2nd edition). The word also appears (as UCR tyrweth) in the Gerlyver Sawsnek-Kernowek (Williams, 2nd edition).

I think the explanation of tirwedh given by Dr George is a folk etymology. Why should trees form the basis for a word for landscape, as opposed to some other feature of the land, particularly having regard to the overall landscape of Cornwall today? In Welsh tirwedd (landscape) the second element -wedd is according to Geiriadur Pryfysgol Cymru gwedd (< Indo-European wid- as in video etc meaning ‘see’), so that I believe Cornish tirweth (SC spelling) really means ‘land-view’.

Cf agweth (phase, particularly of the moon) and corresponding Welsh agwedd.

Best regards,

Ian Jackson