[Spellyans] A word for a bet

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 11:09:26 GMT 2017

The word gaja is attested:

the vantel gas yn gage my a'n byth rag ov wage leave your coat as a pledge, I shall have it as my reward PC 1186-87.

Taw, the’th cregy, gage mmer! Chorl bothorak! Shut up, hang you, big wager! You insensitve lout! BK 176-77

Gaja is Middle English gage ‘something deposited as security, a pledge’ and in the quotation from PC is cited in the Middle English Dictionary!

I would therefore say:

Ow gaja dhis na ylta y wil ‘I bet you can’t do it’.
Me a vydn ry gaja na vÿdh an mater indella ‘I will bet it won’t be so’.

Nicholas