[Spellyans] adjectival suffixes -ek, -yl, *-el and -us

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 11:53:12 GMT 2017

In defence of the suffix -el Dr George has drawn attention to
bretholl ‘sleeve’ in OCV and hudol ‘magician’ in OCV.
One could also add ebol, ebal ‘colt’.
All three words are substantives and they are constructed with the
OC suffix -ol which became -el or -al in Middle Cornish.
One should however, note that in all three cases the -ol, -el, -al is a bound morpheme.
It is part of the word and although historically a suffix, it is no longer felt to be such.
The fact remains that there is no attested example of a productive suffix -el or -al
anywhere in traditional Cornish.
It is therefore legitimate to reject any neologism in the revived language which
uses such a suffix.
The productive adjectival suffixes in traditonal Cornish are 1. -ek, -ak; 2 -us, -ys.
Any newly constructed word containing adjectival -el must, I believe, be considered
spurious and should be rejected.

As footnote I should like to point out that there was a good reason for Cornish to
discontinue -ol, -el as a productive suffix.
The -l- in the suffix (which until the eleventh century bore the stress in disyllables)
had the effect of strengthening a lenis stop (d or g) for example to a fortis.
It is for this reason that we have skyans but skentyl and drog but drockoleth < *drockyl.
The same strengthening function can be seen in Cornish dialect fackle ‘inflammation’,
where Welsh has ffagl < Latin facula. It may also account for such forms as
capel ‘cable’, tropel ‘trouble’ and popel ‘people’. This strengthening did not occur in either
Welsh or Breton.
Since the suffix -ol appears to have had a distorting effect on the relationship
between the simplex and the derived adjective, it is not astonishing that Cornish
discontinued -ol, -el as a productive suffix.

It should also be noted in this context that the word scrisel ‘poster’, a calque on
Breton skritell is wrongly formed. If the word had existed in Cornish, the -l of the suffix
would have prevented assibilation of the previous stop and the word would have
appeared as *scridel.

That l in the next syllable blocked assibilation of -d- can clearly be seen, inter alia,
from Nadelek, scudell and padell.

Nicholas