[Spellyans] [Agantavas] Adjectives in -(y)ek and -(y)el

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 14:14:51 GMT 2017

The title Akademi (Academy) like that of the Cornish Language Board is entirely self-inflicted. Those operating the new arrangements do not appear to have
been chosen after any selection process. They were just appointed. This gives a wrong impression to outsiders. Several people have expressed unease to me for example whether the person in charge of research is really entirely suitable, given that his views on the Cornish language have been questioned by Celtic scholars. Had the academic claims of Kernewek Kemmyn been sustainable, it would have been chosen as the SWF. As it was the Commission considered that form of Cornish unsuitable for general use since it was a “construal”. In this context the video by John Mills "Etymology and the relexification of Cornish in the 20th Century" on Youtube is particularly instructive. In the video, inter alia, Jon analyses the inconsistent purism in the dictionaries of Kernewek Kemmyn, whose compiler now officially leads Cornish language research:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0iwUqQHeWE&t=663s <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0iwUqQHeWE&t=663s>  I recommend the video to all members of this forum.
Since the Revival has reached a point where it is getting public recognition, those in charge of language planning at all levels should preferably be qualified professionals. They should at least be chosen after a rigorous selection process.

Nicholas