[Spellyans] Yn...wir?

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Mar 23 20:45:45 GMT 2017

On 23 Mar 2017, at 20:08, Harry Hawkey <bendyfrog at live.com> wrote:

> Not quite sure what you mean. The adverbial particle 'yn' does not seem  to cause mixed mutation in late Cornish. Instead, if Lhuyd's examples are anything to go by, the mixed mutation is replaced by lenition, at least after 'yn’.

I don’t usually consider “Late Cornish” to be a different language. There are “late" features found in Pascon agan Arluth. Too much is made of the differences when it’s clear there are continua of varying features in the texts we have.

Typically we have “yn tâ” ‘well’, “yn few” ‘alive’ in Cornish though “yn vew” is also attested. Throughout all MSS of all periods we have a lack of expected mutation written.

> Are you saying that, because there is no mixed mutation, it is not in fact the adverbial particle, but something else? Please explain.

I don’t know whether Lhuyd could distinguish what we write as “in” vs what we write as “yn” or not.

Michael Everson