[Spellyans] Mass for the Feast of St German

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 10:15:53 IST 2017

The poster for the special Eucharist in Truro Cathedral
for St German’s day, 2 October, says that the
service will be "yn Kernowek, Sowsnek ha Latinek.”

The name of the third language in that list is questionable.

In traditional Cornish the language Latin is invariably called Latyn:

pan ve luen ov zor a wyn ny gara covs mes laten ‘when my belly is full of wine I like to speak Latin only’ BM 80-1

yma ow signifia pup kynde a foode, beva foode an corfe po food an Ena, ha in della yma oll an girryow latyn ‘it means every kind of food, whether food for the body or food for the soul, and thus do all the Latin words signify’ TH 57a

Ma ko them cavaz tra a’n par ma en lever Arlyth an Menneth dro tho e deskanz Latten ‘I remember finding something similar in Montaigne’s book about his Latin education’ NBoson

en leeaz Gerreau, a dael bose gwrez aman durt an Latten po an Souseneack ’in many words which must have been constructed from the Latin or the English'  NBoson

En Tavaz Greka, Lathen ha’n Hebra, En Frenkock ha Carnoack deskes dha ‘In the Greek language, Latin and the Hebrew,
in French and Cornish well schooled’ JBoson.

Nicholas Williams