[Spellyans] Mass for the Feast of St German

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu Sep 14 13:35:51 IST 2017

With great sadness, I must pass on a report of the passing of R.R.M. (Richard) Gendall, at the age of 93.

I remember him telling me that he began to learn Cornish at the age of 4, and I doubt that anyone else in the 20th or 21st century has spoken Cornish for 89 years!
Singer, songwriter, schoolteacher, linguist, Richard contributed so much to Cornish society and culture and yet was so curiously unsung.

I fondly remember voyages to Treguier, Brittany, with Richard and Jan in his boat 'Keryades', which he kept at St Winnow.

His "The Pronunciation of Cornish", a careful and insightful analysis of Edward Lhuyd's phonetically written style of recording traditional Cornish is, to my mind, the most important of all his many works,
and should be properly published.

My thoughts are with his widow, Jan, and all of Richard's family.

Cusk yn cres, Richard Gendall (1924-2017).

Craig