[Spellyans] Two monosyllabic words ending st

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 19:49:33 BST 2018

I prefer to spell brèst ‘breast’ with a short vowel.
The word is brust (i.e. brùst) in brustplat RD 2591.
If the <u> is not dialectal in English < West Saxon -eo-, then it has been rounded inside Cornish.
Compare truspys ‘trespass’ at BM 1116.
A long e is unlikely to have been rounded though a short one might easily have been rounded by the surrounding
r and labials.
Brest ‘brass’ we know only, I think, from Lhuyd and he spells the word <brêst> at AB: 109b.
I believe therefore that we should continue to spell the thoracic brest as brèst and the metallic one as brest.

Nicholas