[Spellyans] A breakdown of Cornish vocabulary.

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sat Aug 25 10:33:08 BST 2018

Has anyone ever carried out a breakdown of the vocabulary of Cornish to determine the origins of each word?

I ask this after seeing the results of a study of English with concludes that the current language consists of:

26% Germanic
29% French
29% Latin
6% Greek
10% Others

Or, as someone remarked:  "English is not as English as the English think it is!"

Although Cornish undeniably contains many loan words from other languages, I fancy that its Brythonic content will be rather higher than the surprisingly low Germanic content of modern English (I'd have estimated 40% Germanic), and might be a very good answer to those many people who persist in claiming that Cornish is "made up".