[Spellyans] A breakdown of Cornish vocabulary.

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Sat Aug 25 12:30:32 BST 2018

Craig,

I haven’t got any statistics on the size of the loan vocabulary in Cornish, but if memory serves, Ken George did an analysis, so maybe he might be the one to ask.

While in overall size, the Germanic part of the English vocabulary seems small, it does not accurately reflect the truth of the situation. The 26% decribe the Germanic share of the whole vocabulary of a large dictionary, however, these 26% contain the most frequently used words of the English language, so on paper, and even more so in the mouths of its speakers, the Germanic share of English is much, much larger.

Dan