[Spellyans] Introducing Penny Squire

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 18:30:37 BST 2008

The surname is Ó Riagáin. No apostrophe please. Ó means
'grandson, descendant'. The apostrophe comes about because
Anglophones thought it was like the o' in John O' Groats or Will-o'-
the-Wisp.
It isn't.
Surnames in Ó are very troublesome.
A man called Pádraig Ó Shúilleabháin would have a daughter
called, say, Mairéad Ní Shúilleabháin but his wife would be, say,
Síle Uí Shúilleabháin.

Nicholas