Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Jul 10 22:30:36 BST 2008

At 19:56 +0100 2008-07-10, Craig Weatherhill wrote:
>Can I suggest that the s/g sound is like the S of leisure (from West
>Cornish speech), a soft zh sound rather than a hard J.

You may suggest it, but Revivalists say kerensa [k@'rEnz@] and
kerenja [k@'rEndZ@]. Evidently Ken George and Keith Bailey think
everyone should change to say kerenzha [k@'rEnz@].

I don't believe that s/j~g are attempts to write [Z]. I believe they
are representations of [z] and [dZ]. Since Revivalists use those
forms, and since the SWF also maintains the s/j distinction, I don't
think it is in our remit to recommend something else.