nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 16:41:01 BST 2008

Neil Kennedy criticised me for introducing neologisms into revived
Cornish. See Cornish Studies: NIne page 316.
In fact Neil Kennedy's own dictionary tends to avoid items not in the
traditional language and can be considered
the better for that—although there are many gaps.

When I wrote the dictionary I did not have (as I do now) a searchable
database of Middle Cornish.

In the introduction to the second edition of the dictionary I caution
against the excessive use of neologisms. They
should be used as a last resort, rather than as everyday terms. I also
believe that attested loanwords from ME
are preferable to "Celtic" inventions. I prefer fanya to *gwynsella,
for example.

Nance used stevel for 'room' (the MC word is rom), avon 'river' (the
attested MC is ryver), and enep 'face' (the attested word
is fas).

In my translation of the New Testament as far as possible I used an
attested vocabulary rather than a created one.

Nicholas