[Spellyans] redistribution of <i> and <y>

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 19:00:11 BST 2008

I have discussed the question of schwa to some degree in Cornish Today.
It seems that in MC there were three unstressed vowels: schwa, i-
coloured schwa
and u-coloured schwa (in gallus and arluth, for example).
In LC all three had a tendency to fall together. One finds Cornowok in
1572
and Frenkock in NBoson.

Flehes  x 14, flehys x 42, and flehas x 11 are all attested in Middle
Cornish, which
seems to me to indicate that schwa and i-schwa are allophones, perhaps
conditioned
by the following consonant or by vocalic harmony.

The word for 'one' is onen x 12, onan x 52, onon x 9 and onyn x 90 in
Middle Cornish.

In Late Cornish the verbal adjective in -ys is not infrequently spelt
with <as>, <az>:
e.g. En Termen ez passiez thera Trigaz en St. Levan JCH § 1.

Moreover in Middle Cornish itself benegas 'blessed' and malegas
'accursed' are common (x 60 and 10 respectively).

In Late Cornish forms like crenjah and venjah seem to suggest that
schwa in auslaut had
a low allophone close to [a].

We write arlùth with <ù> in KS but in Late Cornish it appears as
<arleth> 54 times! And as <arlith> 10 times.
Nicholas Boson writes <arlyth> once.

The word profus 'prophet' is exclusively Middle Cornish, since it is
replaced by profet in Tregear and LC.
<profos> 3.

<eglos> occurs 22 times in MC and LC, <egglos> 197 times (mostly in
Tregear who had a special interest in the church).
occurs once in Sacrament an Alter.

The word cafus, cafos is written <cafes> twice in Origo Mundi.

The collapse of unstressed vowels into schwa is by the way an
indication that the prosodic shift has occurred by the time
of the earliest MC texts i(late fourteenth and early fifteenth
centuries). The specification of the SWF allows for
a pre-shift phonology with half-length and pure unstressed vowels.
This again is an attempt to salvage the underlying phonology of KK.
It is inauthentic as well as being irrelevant, since nobody uses it.

Any attempt, however, to distinguish unstressed -en, -es from -yn, -ys
is, I think, doomed to failure.
We have schwa, i-schwa and u-schwa (if I may be allowed to use the
terms) and that is all.
And all three are by the Late Cornish period (if not before)
allophones of the same phoneme.

Nicholas